Apply for a HMDSS Scholarship
EligibilityAny current student of music or any person with a desire to study music in grades 6-12 who are actively participating in an ensemble such as band, choir or orchestra may apply. Students of piano, guitar and other such instruments for which there is no school ensemble available may also apply.
HMDSS believes all students should have equal opportunities to experience music. Private lessons, quality instruments and the recording process help students excel in music, giving them confidence in larger groups and as a soloist, enhancing their musical experience. In striving for equality, scholarships are awarded based on passion for and desire to study music as well as financial need.
How to Apply
- Complete the information form
- Compose a three part essay, typed or nicely hand written, with each section labeled separately:
- Section 1 - Financial Need - Describe your situation and why you feel you need assistance.
- Section 2 - Intended Use - Describe your musical goals and desires, your teacher of choice, your instrument of choice, the status of your current project you wish to record.
- Section 3 - Why You? - Explain why you feel the scholarship should be awarded to you, what impact it will have on your life and your commitment to music and any other information that describes your uniqueness.
- Attach (2) letters of recommendation from people who know you well. These can be teachers, coaches, mentors, pastors, etc., but may not include family members or peers.
- Mail all parts of application together to:
HMDSSc/o Steve Merriman
PO Box 6351
Bozeman, MT 59771
Criteria for Determining Awards
- Application must be completed and postmarked by June 30, 2012.
- Quality and completeness of essay
- Financial need
Dates and Deadlines
- June 30, 2012 - Deadline for submission of application.
- August 1, 2012 - Notification of winners.
- August 15, 2012 - Deadline to accept or decline scholarship.
- September 1, 2012 - Arrangements will be made with private instructors or instrument retailers to purchase services or instruments.
For more information contact: Steve Merriman, 406-599-7609.